BAILEY, Josiah William (1873-1946)
Senate Years of Service: 1931-1946
BAILEY, JOSIAH WILLIAM, a Senator from North Carolina; born in Warrenton, Warren County, N.C., September 14, 1873; moved with his parents to Raleigh, N.C., in 1877; attended the public schools and Raleigh Male Academy; graduated from Wake Forest College in 1893; editor of the Biblical Recorder 1893-1907; member of the State board of agriculture 1896-1900; studied law; admitted to the bar in 1908 and commenced practice in Raleigh, N.C.; United States collector of internal revenue for North Carolina 1913-1921; member of the North Carolina Constitutional Commission in 1915; trustee of the University of North Carolina 1930; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1930; reelected in 1936 and again in 1942, and served from March 4, 1931, until his death in Raleigh on December 15, 1946; chairman, Committee on Claims (Seventy-third through Seventy-fifth Congresses), Committee on Commerce (Seventy-sixth through Seventy-ninth Congresses); interment in Oakwood Cemetery.
Special Collections Library
Papers: 1833-1967. Ca. 422,400 items and 4 volumes. Personal, business, political and congressional papers and correspondence, writings, addresses, printed material, and photographs. Topics include agriculture, banking, civil service, communism and fascism, education, food and drugs, foreign policy, housing, industry, labor and management, legislation, lend-lease, national defense, armed services, prohibition, trade and commerce, and veterans' affairs. Finding aid.
Papers: Correspondence in William Preston Few papers, 1885-1951.
North Carolina Division of Archives and History
Papers: Correspondence in the Heriot Clarkson papers; Herbert Hutchinson Brimley papers; Clarence H. Poe papers; R. Gregg Cherry papers; Isaac Spencer London collection; and the Eric Norden collection. Finding aid.
University of North Carolina
Southern Historical Collection
Chapel Hill, NC
Papers: In Thaddeus Shaw Page, secretary to Senator Bailey, papers, 1911-1973. 2 feet, plus 62 volumes.
University of Virginia
Papers: Correspondence in various collections. Finding aid.
Virginia State Library and Archives
Papers: Correspondence in the William Heth Whitsall papers, 1858-1909. Finding aid.
Wake Forest University
Papers: Several items in various collections.
- Marcello, Ronald E. "Senator Josiah Bailey, Harry Hopkins, and the WPA: A Prelude to the Conservative Coalition.'' Southern Studies 22 (Winter 1983): 321-39.
- Moore, John Robert. "Senator Josiah W. Bailey and the `Conservative Manifesto' of 1937.'' Journal of Southern History 31 (February 1965): 21-39.
- ___. Senator Josiah William Bailey of North Carolina: A Political Biography. Durham: Duke University Press, 1968.
- U.S. Congress. Memorial Services Held in the House of Representatives and Senate of the United States, Together with Remarks Presented in Eulogy of Josiah William Bailey, Late a Senator from North Carolina. 80th Cong., 1st sess., 1947. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1949.
- Watson, Richard L., Jr. "A Southern Democratic Primary: Simmons Vs. Bailey in 1930.'' North Carolina Historical Review 42 (January 1965): 21-46.