BRICKER, John William (1893-1986)
Senate Years of Service: 1947-1959
BRICKER, JOHN WILLIAM, a Senator from Ohio; born on a farm near Mount Sterling, Madison County, Ohio, September 6, 1893; attended the country schools; graduated from Ohio State University at Columbus in 1916 and from its law department in 1920; admitted to the bar in 1917 and commenced practice in Columbus, Ohio, in 1920; during the First World War served as first lieutenant and chaplain in the United States Army in 1917 and 1918; solicitor for Grandview Heights, Ohio 1920-1928; assistant attorney general of Ohio 1923-1927; member of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio 1929-1932; attorney general of Ohio 1933-1937; Governor of Ohio 1939-1945; unsuccessful Republican candidate for Vice President in 1944; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate in 1946, reelected in 1952 and served from January 3, 1947, to January 3, 1959; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1958; chairman, Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce (Eighty-third Congress); resumed the practice of law; died in Columbus, Ohio, March 22, 1986; interment in Greenlawn Cemetery.
Oral History Project
New York, NY
Oral History: 1968. 40 pages. Permission required to cite, quote, and reproduce.
Dwight D. Eisenhower Library
Oral History: 1968. 40 pages. Furnished by Columbia University.
Herbert Hoover Library
West Branch, IA
Papers: Memoranda, reports, and hearings in Bricker amendment collection, 1952-1954. 3 feet.
Library of Congress
Papers: Correspondence in Robert A. Taft papers, 1885-1962; Charles Phelps Taft papers, 1824-1972; and Harold Hitz Burton papers, 1896-1964.
Oral History: 1974, 1978. 62 pages and 45 pages. Association of Former Members of Congress.
Ohio Historical Society
Papers: 1939-1959. 190 feet. Includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, and other papers relating to his governorship, state and national politics, his years in the Senate and work on Senate committees, the Bricker amendment, and national and Ohio Republican politics.
Additional Papers: Correspondence in Robert Henry Day papers, 1846-1936; Thomas Albert Jenkins papers, 1927-1959; and campaign materials in John Daniel Zook papers, 1939-1949.
Seeley G. Mudd Library
Papers: In the Dwight D. Eisenhower presidential papers relating to John Foster Dulles, 1952-1959. Photocopies of original documents in the Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, KS.
State Historical Society of Wisconsin
Papers: Correspondence, news releases, and other writings in the Alexander Wiley papers, 1913-1967; Roger Faherty papers, 1940-1965; Gregor Athalwin Ziemer papers, 1929-1945; and John B. Oakes papers, 1932-1969.
University of Michigan
Bentley Historical Library
Ann Arbor, MI
Papers: Correspondence in the Alexander Grant Ruthven papers, 1901-1961; James Kerr Pollock papers, 1920-1968; Howard Cyrus Lawrence papers, 1916-1966; Read Bain papers, 1893-1972; Wilbur W. Brucker papers, 1877-1968; and Gerald L.K. Smith papers, 1922-1976. Finding aid.
University of North Dakota
Chester Fritz Library
Grand Forks, ND
Papers: Correspondence in the Donald Dike papers, 1912-1946.
Western Reserve Historical Society
Papers: Correspondence in Florence Ellinwood Allen papers, 1856-1967. Finding aid.
Yale University Libraries
Manuscripts and Archives
New Haven, CT
Papers: Correspondence in the Charles Dewey Hill papers, 1885-1955; and the Charles Parsons papers, 1880-1965.
- Bricker, John W. "Making Treaties and Other International Agreements.'' Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 289 (September 1953): 134-44.
- Davies, Richard O. Defender of the Old Guard: John Bricker and American Politics. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 1993.
- ___. "In the Shadow of Warren G. Harding: John Bricker and the Presidential Election of 1944." Timeline 14 (January/February 1997): 2-19.
- Engelland, Charles Wilbur. "The Bricker Amendment.'' Ph.D. dissertation, State University of Iowa, 1954.
- Grant, Philip A. "The Bricker Amendment Controversy.'' Presidential Studies Quarterly 15 (Summer 1985): 572-82.
- Koo, Youngnok. "Dissenters from American Involvement in World Affairs: A Political Analysis of the Movement for the Bricker Amendment.'' Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan, 1966.
- Nolan, Cathal J. "The Last Hurrah of Conservative Isolationism: Eisenhower, Congress, and the Bricker Amendment.'' Presidential Studies Quarterly 22 (Spring 1992): 337-49.
- Reichard, Gary W. "Eisenhower and the Bricker Amendment.'' Prologue 6 (Summer 1974): 88-99.
- Tananbaum, Duane A. The Bricker Amendment Controversy: A Test of Eisenhower's Political Leadership. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1988.
- ___. "The Bricker Amendment Controversy: Its Origins and Eisenhower's Role.'' Diplomatic History 9 (Winter 1985): 73-93.
- Thatcher, Terence L. "The Bricker Amendment: 1952-1954.'' Northwest Ohio Quarterly 49 (Summer 1977): 107-20.
- Vazzano, Frank. "Martin Davey, John Bricker and the Ohio Election of 1936." Ohio History 104 (Winter- Spring 1995): 5-23.
- Zahniser, Marvin R., ed. "John W. Bricker Reflects Upon the Fight for the Bricker Amendment.'' Ohio History 87 (Summer 1978): 322-33.