BRODERICK, David Colbreth (1820-1859)
Senate Years of Service: 1857-1859
BRODERICK, DAVID COLBRETH, (cousin of Andrew Kennedy and Case Broderick), a Senator from California; born in Washington, D.C., February 4, 1820, his father having emigrated from Ireland to work as a stonecutter on the Capitol; moved with his parents to New York City in 1823; attended the common schools; apprenticed to a stonecutter in early youth; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1846 to the Thirtieth Congress; moved to California in 1849 and engaged in smelting and assaying gold; member, State senate 1850-1851, serving as president in 1851; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate and served from March 4, 1857, until mortally wounded in a duel with the chief justice of the supreme court of California; died near San Francisco, Calif., September 16, 1859; interment under a monument erected by the people of the State in Lone Mountain (later Laurel Hill) Cemetery, San Francisco; reinterred in 1942 in Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, Calif.
California Historical Society
San Francisco, CA
Papers: 1849, 1859-1860. 4 items. Also represented in California personal papers, 1841-1946; and Robert B. Wallace papers, 1852-1860.
Henry E. Huntington Library
San Marino, CA
Papers: 1856-1858. 3 letters.
Pierpont Morgan Library
New York, NY
Papers: 1859. 1 item.
University of California, Berkeley
The Bancroft Library
Papers: Letters by and about Broderick in several collections and photographs.
- Fredman, L. E. "Broderick: A Reassessment.'' Pacific Historical Review 30 (February 196l): 39-46.
- Hall, Carroll Douglas. The Terry-Broderick Duel. San Francisco: Colt Press, 1939.
- Hargis, Donald E. "The Issues in the Broderick-Gwin Debates of 1859.'' California Historical Society Quarterly 32 (December 1953): 313-25.
- Lynch, Jeremiah. The Life of David C. Broderick, a Senator of the Fifties. New York: Baker Taylor Co., 1911.
- O'Meara, James. Broderick and Gwin. San Francisco: Bacon Co., Printers, 1881.
- Quinn, Arthur. The Rivals: William Gwin, David Broderick, and the Birth of California. New York: Crown Publishers, 1994.
- Williams, David A. David C. Broderick: A Political Portrait. San Marino, CA: Huntington Library, 1969.