Senate Years of Service: 2009-2018
FRANKEN, AL, a Senator from Minnesota; born in Manhattan, N.Y., May 21, 1951; A.B., Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., 1973; screenwriter; comedian; author; radio talk show host; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 2008 for the term beginning January 3, 2009, but the election was contested; following a June 30, 2009, decision in his favor by the Minnesota state supreme court, he took the oath of office; reelected in 2014 and served from July 7, 2009, until his resignation on January 2, 2018.
Minnesota Historical Society
St. Paul, MN
Papers: Senatorial papers.
- Franken, Al. Al Franken, Giant of the Senate. New York: Twelve, 2017.
- ___. I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People like Me!: Affirmations by Stuart Smalley. New York: Dell Publishing, 1992.
- ___. Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. New York: Dutton, 2003.
- ___. Oh, the Things I Know!: A Guide to Success, or, Failing That, Happiness. New York: Dutton, 2002.
- ___. Rush Limbaugh Is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations. New York: Delacorte Press, 1996.
- ___. The Truth (With Jokes). New York: Dutton, 2005.
- ___. Why Not Me?: The Inside Story of the Making and Unmaking of the Franken Presidency. New York: Dell Publishing, 2000.