HOUK, Leonidas Campbell (1836-1891)

HOUK, LEONIDAS CAMPBELL, (father of John Chiles Houk), a Representative from Tennessee; born near Boyds Creek, Sevier County, Tenn., June 8, 1836; attended the common schools less than three months; learned the trade of cabinet-making; studied law; was admitted to the bar October 13, 1859, and practiced; enlisted in the Union Army as a private August 9, 1861, and served with the Tennessee Volunteer Infantry until his resignation on account of ill health April 23, 1863; presidential elector on the Republican ticket in 1864; member of the State constitutional convention in 1865; judge of the circuit court of Tennessee 1866-1870; moved to Knoxville and resumed the practice of law; delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1868, 1880, 1884, and 1888; member of the State house of representatives 1873-1875; elected as a Republican to the Forty-sixth and to the six succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1879, until his death in Knoxville, Tenn., May 25, 1891; chairman, Committee on War Claims (Forty-seventh Congress); interment in the Old Gray Cemetery.

Knox County Public Library
C.M. McClung Historical Collection
Knoxville, TN
Papers: Papers of Leonidas Campbell Houk and John Chiles Houk, 1863-1923. ca. 60 feet.
Personal and business correspondence, speeches, legal papers, pension claims, legislative bills, pamphlets, broadsides, newspaper clippings, and scrapbooks. Includes material on local and national Republican Party politics, Progressive Party, patronage, Tennessee convict lease system, coal miners' insurrection (1891), and political differences between Leonidas Houk and William Rule. Described in published guide.

  • Gentry, Amos L. "The Public Career of Leonidas Campbell Houk." Master's thesis, University of Tennessee, 1939.
  • United States. 52d Cong., 1st sess., 1891-1892. Memorial addresses on the life and character of Leonidas Campbell Houk, a Representative from Tennessee, delivered in the House of Representatives and in the Senate, January 30th and February 9th, 1892, Fifty-second Congress, first session. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1892.