Collection of the U.S. House of Representatives
LAZARO, Ladislas (1872-1927)

LAZARO, LADISLAS, a Representative from Louisiana; born near Ville Platte, Evangeline (then St. Landry) Parish, La., June 5, 1872; attended public and private schools and Holy Cross College, New Orleans, La.; was graduated from Louisville (Ky.) Medical College in 1894 and practiced his profession in Washington, La., until 1913; became interested in agricultural pursuits; president of the parish school board for four years; served in the State senate 1908-1912; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-third and to the seven succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1913, until his death in Washington, D.C., March 30, 1927; interment in the Old City Cemetery, Ville Platte, La.

Louisiana State University
Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections
Baton Rouge, LA
Papers: 1894-1929, 6,235 items, 43 volumes.
Collection is personal, business, and congressional papers and correspondence, photographs, and memorabilia. Includes copies of political speeches, House bills, government reports, political broadsides, correspondence pertaining to state and local political campaigns; his interests in agriculture and the tariff questions related to the rice industry are reflected. Records of medical practice. Finding aid in repository.

Papers: In the papers of the Fontenot family, 1834-1949, n.d., 0.3 linear foot.
Collection includes letters from Lazaro regarding his candidacy for the Senate and a local political race.

  • "Ladislas Lazaro" in Hispanic Americans in Congress, 1822-2012. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on House Administration by the Office of the Historian and the Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives. Washington: Government Printing Office, 2013.
  • United States. 70th Cong., 1st sess., 1927-1928. House. Ladislas Lazaro. Memorial addresses delivered in the House of Representatives of the United States in memory of Ladislas Lazaro, late a Representative from Louisiana. Seventieth Congress, May 13, 1928. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1929.