LIEBERMAN, Joseph I. (1942-)
Senate Years of Service: 1989-2013
LIEBERMAN, JOSEPH I., a Senator from Connecticut; born in Stamford, Fairfield County, Ct., February 24, 1942; attended Stamford public schools; graduated from Yale University 1964; received law degree from Yale Law School 1967; member of Connecticut state senate 1970-1980, majority leader 1974-1980; attorney general of Connecticut 1983, 1986-1988; author; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1988; reelected as a Democrat in 1994 and 2000; reelected as an Independent Democrat in 2006, and served from January 3, 1989, to January 3, 2013; chair, Committee on Governmental Affairs (One Hundred Seventh Congress [January 3-20, 2001; June 6, 2001-January 3, 2003]), Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs (One Hundred Tenth to One Hundred Twelfth Congresses); unsuccessful candidate for vice president on Democratic ticket with Al Gore, Jr., in 2000; unsuccessful candidate for Democratic nomination for president, 2004; was not a candidate for reelection to the Senate in 2012.
Library of Congress
Papers: Senatorial papers.
National Museum of American Jewish History
Papers: Memorabilia from Senate service.
- Lieberman, Joseph I. Child Support in America: Practical Advice for Negotiating--and Collecting--a Fair Settlement. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1986.
- ___. In Praise of Public Life. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2000.
- ___. The Legacy: Connecticut Politics, 1930-1980. Hartford, Conn.: Spoonwood Press, 1981.
- ___. The Power Broker: A Biography of John M. Bailey, Modern Political Boss. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1966.
- ___. The Scorpion and the Tarantula: The Struggle to Control Atomic Weapons, 1945-1949. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1970.
- Lieberman, Joseph, with Rabbi Ari D. Khan. With Liberty and Justice: The Fifty Day Journey from Egypt to Sanai. New Milford, CT: Maggid Books, 2018.
- Lieberman, Joseph, with David Klinghoffer. The Gift of Rest: Rediscovering the Beauty of the Sabbath. New York, NY: Howard Books, 2011.
- Lieberman, Joseph, and Hadassah Lieberman. An Amazing Adventure: Joe and Hadassah's Personal Notes on the 2000 Campaign. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2003.
- Lieberman, Joseph, and Jon Kyl. Why American Leadership Still Matters: Report of the American Internationalism Project. Washington, D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, December 2015.
- U.S. Congress. Tributes Delivered in Congress: Joseph I. Lieberman, United States Senator, 1989-2013. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2014.