MIKULSKI, Barbara Ann (1936-)
Senate Years of Service: 1987-2017
MIKULSKI, BARBARA ANN, a Senator and a Representative from Maryland; born in Baltimore, Md., July 20, 1936; graduated, Mount St. Agnes College 1958; received a graduate degree from the University of Maryland School of Social Work 1965; social worker in Baltimore; college professor; member, Baltimore City Council 1971-1976; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for the United States Senate in 1974; elected as a Democrat to the Ninety-fifth Congress; reelected to the four succeeding Congresses and served from January 3, 1977, to January 3, 1987; was not a candidate for reelection to the House of Representatives in 1986, but was elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1986; reelected in 1992, 1998, 2004 and again in 2010, and served from January 3, 1987, to January 3, 2017; Democratic Conference secretary (1995-2005); chair, Committee on Appropriations (One Hundred Twelfth [December 20, 2012-January 3, 2013] and One Hundred Thirteenth Congresses); was not a candidate for reelection to the Senate in 2016.
Johns Hopkins University
Paper: Senatorial papers. Closed pending processing.
Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study
Paper: In the Candidates for Public Office Campaign Materials, 1964-1986. 3 Videotapes, 1983-1984, in Videotape collection of the National Organization for Women, 1977-1988. 1 Audiotape, 1987, in the Audiotape collection of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1977-2000. Correspondence in Additional records of 9 to 5, National Association of Working Women (U.S.), 1972-1985. Correspondence and campaign records in Records of the National Women's Political Caucus, 1970-2006 and Records of the National Organization for Women, 1959-2002 (inclusive), 1966-1998 (bulk). Letter to the editor, 1987 in Letters to Ms., 1970-1998. 2 photographs in Papers of Elizabeth Holtzman, 1945-1981 (inclusive), 1972-1980 (bulk). Correspondence in the Papers of Betty Friedan, 1933-1985.
- Mikulski, Barbara, with Marylouis Oates. Capitol Offense (novel). New York: Dutton, 1996.
- ___. Capitol Venture: A Novel. New York: Dutton, 1997.
- ___, et al. Nine and Counting: The Women of the Senate. New York: Perennial, 2001.
- "Barbara Mikulski," in Women in Congress, 1917-2006. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on House Administration by the Office of History & Preservation, U.S. House of Representatives. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 2006.
- U.S. Congress. Tributes Delivered in Congress: Barbara A. Mikulski, United States Congresswoman, 1977-1987, United States Senator, 1987-. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2012.
- U.S. Congress. Tributes Delivered in Congress: Barbara A. Mikulski, United States Congressman, 1977-1987, United States Senator, 1987-2017. Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2017.