BAYH, Birch Evans (1928-2019)
Senate Years of Service: 1963-1981
BAYH, BIRCH EVANS, (father of Evan Bayh), a Senator from Indiana; born in Terre Haute, Vigo County, Ind., January 22, 1928; attended the public schools; served in the United States Army 1946-1948; graduated Purdue University School of Agriculture at Lafayette in 1951; attended Indiana State University, Terre Haute, 1952-1953; graduated Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, 1960; was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1961 and commenced practice in Terre Haute; farmer and lawyer; member, State house of representatives 1954-1962, serving as minority leader in 1957 and 1961 and as speaker in 1959; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1962; reelected in 1968 and 1974 and served from January 3, 1963, to January 3, 1981; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1980; chairman, Select Committee on Intelligence (Ninety-fifth and Ninety-sixth Congresses); resumed the practice of law in Washington, D.C.; was a resident of Easton, Md., until his death on March 14, 2019.
Broadcast Pioneers Library
University of Maryland Hornbake Library
College Park, MD
Papers: 36 audiotapes (1962-1975) in Westinghouse Broadcasting Company collection, 1945-1981.
Gerald R. Ford Library
Ann Arbor, MI
Papers: 1974-1977. Correspondence and briefing papers. Finding aid.
Herbert Hoover Library
West Branch, IA
Papers: 1963. 1 folder.
Indiana Historical Society
Papers: Ca. 30 letters (1964; 1971-1977) in the Ostrom and Richardson papers.
Modern Political Papers Collections
Papers: 1963-1980. 900 linear feet plus 800+ audio cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes. Collection is currently being processed. Audio recordings of six hearings of the Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency have been digitized and are available online. Finding aids for an overview of the collection and for each of the processed series within the collection are available online at http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/findingaids/search?repository=politicalpapers&sort=title.
Lyndon Baines Johnson Library
Oral History: February 12, 1969. 24 pages.
University of Georgia
Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies
Oral History: 1971. 7 pages. Limited to reminiscences of Russell.
- Bayh, Birch. One Heartbeat Away: Presidential Disability and Succession. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Co., 1968.
- ___. "The Twenty-fifth Amendment: Dealing with Presidential Disability." Wake Forest Law Review 30:3 (Fall 1995).
- Bayh, Marvella, with Mary Lynn Kotz. Marvella: A Personal Journey. Epilogue by Birch Bayh. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1979.
- Blaemire, Robert. Birch Bayh: Making a Difference. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 2019.
- Lilly Library (Indiana University, Bloomington). The Art of Leadership: A Companion to an Exhibition From the Senatorial Papers of Birch Bayh, January 29-May 5, 2007: United States Senator From Indiana, 1863-1980. Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Libraries, 2007.