BUCKLEY, James Lane (1923-)
Senate Years of Service: 1971-1977
BUCKLEY, JAMES LANE, a Senator from New York; born in New York City, March 9, 1923; received secondary education at the Millbrook School, Millbrook, N.Y.; graduated Yale University 1943 and received his law degree from the same university in 1949; enlisted in United States Navy in 1942 and was discharged with rank of lieutenant (jg.) in 1946; admitted to the Connecticut bar in 1950 and commenced practice in New Haven; joined the Catawba Corp. of New York as a vice president and director 1953-1970; elected as the candidate of the Conservative Party of New York State to the United States Senate in 1970, and served from January 3, 1971, to January 3, 1977; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1976 and for election from Connecticut in 1980; Under Secretary for Security, Science, and Technology, United States Department of State 1981-1982; president, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Inc. 1982-1985; federal judge, United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit 1985-1996; is a resident of Sharon, Conn.
Broadcast Pioneers Library
University of Maryland Hornbake Library
College Park, MD
Papers: 18 audiotapes (1968-1974) in Westinghouse Broadcasting Company collection, 1945-1981.
Gerald R. Ford Library
Ann Arbor, MI
Papers: 1974-1977. Correspondence and briefing papers. Finding aid.
Rutgers University Libraries
Special Collections and University Archives
New Brunswick, NJ
Papers: In the New Democratic Coalition of New York records, 1960-1978.
St. John's University
Papers: 1970-1976. 49 cubic feet. Includes senatorial personal correspondence, 1973-1975 (1 cubic foot); speeches, 1970-1976 (5 cubic feet); news releases, 1968-1976 (2 cubic feet); issue correspondence, 1972-1976 (6 cubic feet); campaign material, 1970-1976 (bulk 1970-1971) (31 cubic feet); and legislative papers, 1971-1976 (4 cubic feet).
State University of New York
College at Oswego Penfield Library
Papers: Correspondence in the Edward F. Crawford papers, 1854-1976.
Research Libraries Information Network In addition to the institutions listed above, items are also cataloged in collections at: Radcliffe College, Schlesinger Library, Cambridge, MA; and University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, VA.
- Buckley, James L. "Comments on the Two-Hundred-Year Experience.'' In Understanding Congress: Research Perspectives, edited by Roger H. Davidson and Richard C. Sachs, pp. 175-80. U.S. Congress. House. 101st Cong., 2d sess. H. Doc. 101-241. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1991.
- ___. Gleanings from an Unplanned Life: An Annotated Oral History. Wilmington: ISI Books, 2006
- ___. If Men Were Angels: A View from the Senate. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1975.
- ___, and Paul C. Warnke. Strategic Sufficiency: Fact or Fiction? American Enterprise Institute Rational Debate Seminars. Washington: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, 1972.
- Markmann, Charles Lam. The Buckleys: A Family Examined. New York: William Morrow & Company, Inc., 1973.