FORAKER, Joseph Benson (1846-1917)
Senate Years of Service: 1897-1909
FORAKER, JOSEPH BENSON, a Senator from Ohio; born near Rainsboro, Highland County, Ohio, on July 5, 1846; pursued preparatory studies; during the Civil War served in the Eighty-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, attaining the rank of brevet captain; graduated from Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., in 1869; studied law; admitted to the bar in 1869 and commenced practice in Cincinnati, Ohio; judge of the superior court of Cincinnati 1879-1882; unsuccessful Republican candidate for Governor of Ohio in 1883; Governor of Ohio 1885-1889; unsuccessful candidate for Governor in 1889; elected in 1896 as a Republican to the United States Senate; reelected in 1902 and served from March 4, 1897, to March 3, 1909; unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1908; chairman, Committee to Examine Branches of the Civil Service (Fifty-fifth Congress), Committee on Pacific Islands and Puerto Rico (Fifty-sixth through Sixtieth Congresses); resumed the practice of law in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he died May 10, 1917; interment in Spring Grove Cemetery.
Rare Books and Manuscript Collections
Papers: 1869. 1 volume. Notes taken by Foraker in a moral philosophy course. Also in Jacob Gould Schurman papers, 1878-1986.
Cincinnati Historical Society
Papers: 1884-1917. 26 feet. Correspondence, speeches, and miscellaneous papers relating to politics. Finding aid.
Additional Papers: Correspondence in Russell Wilson papers, 1891-1963; and miscellaneous items in various collections.
Indiana Historical Society
Papers: Correspondence in William R. Holloway papers, 1824-1899.
Library of Congress
Papers: 1885-1918. 5 containers. Includes letters of Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and others, and four privately printed pamphlets.
Additional Papers: Correspondence in Louis Theodore Michener papers, 1880-1927. Ohio Historical Society Columbus, OH
Papers: 1886-1890. 5 feet. Gubernatorial correspondence including recommendations and appointments, resignations, land records, warrants, petitions and indictments. Finding aid. Also miscellaneous letters in various collections and photographs.
Additional Papers: Correspondence in Harry Micajah Daugherty papers, 1912-1934; Daniel Joseph Ryan papers, 1846-1923; Frank Bartlette Willis papers, 1892-1928; and William H. Phipps papers, 1890-1913. Finding aid.
Stanford University Libraries
Papers: In Francis Butler Loomis papers, 1897-1939, available on 9 microfilm reels.
George Arents Research Library
Papers: Correspondence in William J. Arkell collection, 1881-1894.
Virginia Historical Society
Papers: Items in Samuel E. Lewis papers.
Western Reserve Historical Society
Papers: Correspondence in Orlando John Hodge papers, 1822-1913; and George F. Washburn papers, 1850-1896. Finding aid.
Yale University Libraries
Manuscripts and Archives
New Haven, CT
Papers: In Beer family papers, 1740-1981.
- Beck, Earl Ray. "The Political Career of Joseph Benson Foraker.'' Ph.D. dissertation, Ohio State University, 1943.
- Foraker, Joseph Benson. Notes of a Busy Life. 2 vols. Cincinnati: Stewart Kidd Co., 1916.
- Foraker, Julia Bundy. I Would Live It Again. 1932. Reprint. New York: Arno Press, 1975.
- Kendrick, Benjamin B. "McKinley and Foraker.'' Political Science Quarterly 31 (December 1916): 590-604.
- Lembeck, Harry. Taking on Theodore Roosevelt: How One Senator Defied the President on Brownsville and Shook American Politics. New York: Prometheus Books, 2015.
- Libby, Justin. " `Our Plain Duty': Senator Joseph B. Foraker and the First Civil Government of Puerto Rico.'' Mid-America 69 (January 1987): 39-56.
- McMurdy, Robert [presumed author]. Sketch of Joseph B. Foraker, 1883, with an Appendix, 1885. Dayton: Press of U.B. Publishing House, 1885.
- Murray, Percy E. "Harry C. Smith-Joseph B. Foraker Alliance: Coalition Politics in Ohio.'' Journal of Negro History 68 (Spring 1983): 171-84.
- Tinsley, James A. "Roosevelt, Foraker, and the Brownsville Affray.'' Journal of Negro History 41 (January 1956): 43-65.
- Walters, Everett. Joseph Benson Foraker, an Uncompromising Republican. Columbus: Ohio History Press, 1948.
- Weaver, John D. The Senator and the Sharecropper's Son: Exoneration of the Brownsville Soldiers. College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1997.