WELLSTONE, Paul David (1944-2002)
Senate Years of Service: 1991-2002
WELLSTONE, PAUL DAVID, a Senator from Minnesota; born in Washington, D.C., July 21, 1944; attended the public schools in Arlington, Va.; B.A., University of North Carolina, 1965; Ph.D., University of North Carolina 1969; taught political science at Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, 1969-1990; director, Minnesota Community Energy Program, September 1983-September 1984; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1990; reelected in 1996 and served from January 3, 1991, until his death in a plane crash on October 25, 2002; interment in Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis, Minn.
Minnesota Historical Society
St. Paul, MN
Papers: Ca. 500 cubic feet. Senatorial papers including constituent correspondence microfilm. Closed pending processing.
Also in the George Latimer papers, 1976-1989.
- Casper, Barry M., and Paul David Wellstone. Powerline: The First Battle of America's Energy War. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1981.
- Lofy, Bill. Paul Wellstone: The Life of a Passionate Progressive. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2005.
- McGrath, Dennis J. Professor Wellstone Goes to Washington: The Inside Story of a Grassroots U.S. Senate Campaign. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1995.
- U.S. Congress. Memorial Addresses and Other Tributes held in the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States together with Memorial Services in Honor of Paul Wellstone, Late a Senator from Minnesota, One Hundred Seventh Congress, second session. Washington: GPO, 2003.
- Wellstone, Paul David. How the Rural Poor Got Power: Narrative of a Grass-Roots Organizer. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 1978.
- ___. The Conscience of a Liberal: Reclaiming the Compassionate Agenda. New York: Random House, 2001.